Tuesday, February 14, 2012

To my best friend: violin

Hi, my dear old friend violin! May be, I should rather call you a grandfather! Although only about 8 years have passed since we first met, I know you lived much longer then I am. True, I didn’t know about that until airport customs examiner asked me to check if violin is antique or not(Although I still don’t understand why he asked me to check in what date you have born, it would be probably because antiquity is one of the important categories in custom inspection……). So I did, and surprised! It was 1815! You will never understand a young boy’s feeling who was born in 1995 at that time. I cannot even imagine how many friends you have except for me! From then, I somewhat relied on you because you were my old antique friend who always sympathize me. I don’t know if other people could also understand my feeling. They might say it is just simple empathy. Nevertheless, you were different from other things that I had: you were able to talk through making a wonderful sound that always comforted me. Not only that, your melody kept our family harmoniously. Whenever I had a conflict with my parents, I closed the door and played the violin to console myself. Naturally, even though I closed my room door, sound that you made always went through the ears of my parents and conveyed all my feelings to them. I cannot say that I didn't expect my parents to forgive me and cheer me after by playing the violin, but for sure, your melody did worked every single time and mediated me and my parents. I would like to thank you for this also.



Although your contribution to my life was great and still is great, one reason why you are my best friend is because you made my life more dynamic and energetic. My life stories with you gave me a lot of help as well as lessons. For instance, I tried three times of same violin audition in the Korea Art Center violin academy. Unfortunately, I failed all three times. However, I tried harder and harder every each time and finally was able to pass the audition at fourth try. Although it is easy to say in words, four times of challenge to one audition which is only held once a year required me a lot of patience, confidence and endeavor; but after all this agony, I learned what is true patience, confidence and endeavor and entrance in academy also gave me a confidence that there is nothing impossible to achieve(p.s. I wrote the same anecdote on my KMLA letter of self-introduction (: ). Not only this incident, there are a lot of stories which sometimes made me impressed, anxious, enraged…... Though I felt different feeling every time with you, one thing that is clear is that you will be the one I’ll choose who influenced my life the most(of course except for my parents).



The Korea Art Center

Regardless of how much time is passed, I’m sure I’ll always try my best to be with you and to carve your melody more beautiful and meticulous so that you could better express you and my feeling. You’ll always be my best friend forever.

With best regard
Your old friend Lee, Ho Wook

1 comment:

  1. This is quite good and interesting. 1815?? Wow. What stories would this instrument tell if it cold speak. Have you seen the movie "The Red Violin"? Same concept. A "must see" if you haven't.

    I like the personal tone and honesty in the writing, and you smoothly progress from detail to detail and idea to idea. You do need to sort out some paragraph issues, and minor grammar, so make the corrections with the printed version I'll give you in class.

    If there is one thing you could do more of, it's poetic description and imagery. You could personify the physical details of the violin and have a lot of fun describing the curves etc. (is your violin a boy or a girl? the shape is usually more of a female S-line).
    Also the shade of the wood, the scent of it, the feeling of your bow across the strings etc. You can write a "poem version" similar to Jiyun's if you want bonus points.

    All in all, very good.

    ReplyDelete