Holden is
the manager of the school’s fencing team and is supposed to be in New York for
a meet, but he lost the team’s equipment on the subway, forcing everyone to
return early. Here, Holden is myself and rather than fencing
competition, I changed it to the violin competition.
Where I want to start telling is the day I left my
grandma’s home; that’s in Seoul Dachi-dong. You probably heard of it. You’ve
probably seen the ads of goddamn academies located in Dachi-dong, anyway. They
advertise in about a thousand magazines, always showing some foreign guy with
notes on his one hand and geek looking glasses on his face. Like as if all you
ever did at Dachi-dong grandma’s house, was going to academies all the time. I
never even once went or seen academies anywhere near the place. And underneath
the foreign guy on the ads, it always says: “Since 2000 we have been molding
boys into splendid, clear-thinking young men.” Strictly for the birds. They don’t
do any damn more molding at academies than they do at any other academies in different
places. And I didn’t know anybody there that was splendid and clear-thinking
and all. Maybe two guys. If that many. And they probably came to these
academies that way.
Anyway, it was the Saturday of the violin
competition near Dachi-dong. The violin competition was supposed to be a very
big deal among young violinists. It was the oldest and one of the most dignified
competition, and you were supposed to commit suicide or something if some young
violinist from Seoul win. I remember around three o’clock that afternoon I was
standing way the hell up on second floor of damn huge concert room, right next
to this crappy building that was in the IMF and all. You could see the whole audience
from there, and you could see the four judges bashing competition participants.
You couldn’t see the grandstand too hot, but you could hear audience all yawning,
whispering.
There were never many girls at all at the
football games. Only few someone’s girl-friend looking girls were there. It was
a terrible competition, no matter how you looked at it. I like to be somewhere
at least where you can see a few girls around once in a while, even if they’re
only scratching their arms or blowing their noses or even just giggling or
something.
The reason I was standing way up on the
second floor of the of concert room, instead of down at the competition, was
because I’d just got back from grandma’s house that morning for this competition
meet with my violin teacher near my grandma’s house. Only, I didn’t have the
meet. My string snapped accidently when I set my violin in my grandma’s house
by myself, tuning the violin. It wasn’t all my fault. I had to learn how to
tune from my teacher but my goddamn teacher wasn’t there at all tuning the
violin for me. So I got back to my home around two-thirty instead of around dinnertime.
My mom ostracized me the whole way back on the car. It was pretty funny, in a
way. I hated playing the violin at that time.
No comments:
Post a Comment